Vermillion Post 1 Legion baseball captured the region title over Dakota Valley in the South Dakota VFW Class B Region 4 Championship last Thursday.
And, the Vermillion Grey Sox nearly won a spot in the State A Amateur Tournament. They unfortunately were defeated 5-6 by the Sioux Falls Squirrels in an extra-inning walk-off.
In this time of local victory and defeat on the diamond, it seems only appropriate to pause and reflect on the Great American Pastime. Baseball indeed is, for many, the greatest sporting endeavor that men and women may pursue. We are especially lucky to see the game played at all this summer as the COVID-19 pandemic continues.
There is something about this game, this activity most of us were introduced to when we were still quite young, that inspires awe and wonder and a treasure of human expression.
• I see great things in baseball. It’s our game -- the American game. -- Walt Whitman
• Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday’s success or put its failures behind and start over again. That’s the way life is, with a new game every day, and that’s the way baseball is. -- Bob Feller
• Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of 10 and be considered a good performer. -- Ted Williams
• Do what you love to do and give it your very best. Whether it's business or baseball, or the theater, or any field. If you don't love what you're doing and you can't give it your best, get out of it. Life is too short. You'll be an old man before you know it. -- Al Lopez
• A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings. -- Earl Wilson
• I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it. -- Carl Yastrzemski
• One of the beautiful things about baseball is that every once in a while you come into a situation where you want to, and where you have to, reach down and prove something. -- Nolan Ryan
• People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. -- Rogers Hornsby
• “The state tournament is so much fun, and I am so excited for our kids. We are taking it one game at a time, and we want to finish by winning our last game of the season.” -- Post 1 head coach Tom Heisinger
• “We were really focused in. We really wanted to play.” -- Post 1’s Gray Peterson
The 2020 SD VFW Class B State Tournament takes place this weekend, beginning Friday and finishing Sunday.
Vermillion is entering the tournament with a 24-4 season record. Post 1’s first game is Friday at 10 a.m. against Tea.
Don't miss the waning seasons of local baseball teams in Vermillion. You'll be missing out on, well, life.
• Baseball is a lot like life. It's a day-to-day existence, full of ups and downs. You make the most of your opportunities in baseball as you do in life. -- Ernie Harwell